Monday, January 7, 2019

Let Go and Let God


"When you let go, something magical happens.  You give God room to work"

~Mandy Hale~

Whenever I have problems in my life, I do my best to “give it to God”.  The problem is that, while I really do give the problem to Him, I just can’t seem to let it go completely.  I tend to keep my hands on it as if letting go would make me less somehow.  When I saw the above quote, it was like one of those “AHA” moments that you hear about all the time: I’M IN GOD’S WAY!  Instead of giving my problems to God, it’s more like I’m “sharing” them with Him as if they were milk and cookies.

I don’t think it’s that I don’t trust God to handle it without my help; rather I think I just don’t want to give up control.  Now THAT is an epiphany I should have had years ago!

I never thought I was a control freak, but maybe I am sometimes.  Now and then I do find myself muttering under my breath “if you want something done right, do it yourself”.  Understand, please, that it’s not a conscious thought when attempting to “let go and let God” – as if I could do anything better than God can do it - but certainly it is during those times when dealing with other mere mortals.  The problem with that line of thinking is that it assumes I’m the only one who knows how to do it right or can do it right.  How egotistical is that!

So now that I’ve had this epiphany, I need to learn how to let go.  I’m flying blind here so I could use some prayers.   The only thing I can think to do is to try to remind myself when I’m attempting to “fix” something on my own or in my own way that I’ve given this to God and I need to stop and get out of His way.  I also need to remind myself that God works according to His time table – not mine.  Patience is most certainly NOT a virtue I possess.  Maybe I just don’t like to be left out of the loop.  I guess that’s as good a reason as any for hanging on to something I say I’ve let go.

You know, with all the wonderfulness that will be Heaven, I think my second favorite part will be in not having to worry or wonder about God’s plan or waiting on His time table.  My favorite part?  Well, that’s meeting my Lord and Savior of course!

Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!

Psalm 27:14

No comments:

Post a Comment